Cook Time: 30 min
Wolfgang Puck thought he’d shake the heat off with a cool retro dish reminiscent of grandma. Try his recipe for Creamy Mashed Potatoes from his new book, “Live, Love, Eat.”
• 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into even 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch chunks
• Salt, to taste
• 1/2 cup heavy cream, brought to a boil
• 1/4 pound of unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces, at room temperature
• Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
• 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
• 2 teaspoons Goat Cheese
Put the potatoes in a saucepan filled with enough lightly salted cold water to cover them well. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat slightly and simmer briskly until the potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the cream in a small saucepan and heat it over low heat.
When the potatoes are done, drain them well. Pass the potatoes through a food mill set over the saucepan, or put them back in the pan and mash them with a potato masher until they are as smooth as you like them.
Add the butter and warm cream to the mashed potatoes and stir over a low heat with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended in. Season the potatoes to taste with salt, and pepper.
Spoon the mashed potatoes onto warmed serving plates or into a warmed serving bowl and garnish with the goat cheese.